Tuesday, August 17, 2010

One Year in Chile

August 16th, 2009 - 2 new missionaries and 2 little troopers tumble off a plane in cold and dark Santiago, Chile: tired, excited...unaware of what the next year would bring.

August 16th, 2010 - 2 learning missionaries drop off their 2 slightly bigger troopers at a colleague's house in Temuco, Chile, to go hear the heartbeat of their newest little trooper who we should meet in 5 months or so: engaged in the work, more or less comfortable...unaware of what the next year will bring.

When you stop to think about it, life offers us a series of mile markers, cataloging when this or that began and when this or that wrapped up. For us, it's wild to think that, as of August 16th, we've been in Chile one year. What was that deal Einstein talked about? Relativity? I couldn't tell you the first thing about his theory, but I do get what it feels like to say that August 16, 2009 seems both forever ago and, at the same time, just yesterday. "My how time flies," we say. And yet, depending on how I look at it, Costa Rica seems like another era...not to mention life in the U.S. Why is that? Is Einstein on Facebook? Perhaps I can send him a friend request and get this figured out. Better yet, maybe he is on Twitter, perhaps he "tweets." Then I could get it figured out in fewer characters.

Shortly after Adrielle was born, Jess began her motherly future projections about the tears she would shed when Adrielle started kindergarten and other sundry events (like starting high school, her first date...if I ever allow it!, getting married, etc.). Well, just to show what James meant when he told us not to brag about the future since we don't even know what tomorrow will bring, Adrielle started kindergarten last week and Jess didn't shed a tear! Who knew when Adrielle was an infant that her first day of kindergarten would be held at an apartment in Temuco, Chile, taught by Mommy! Here's a few images from Day 1. You'll notice that Boden is auditing the class as well.
"Welcome Kids"
Circle...the shape of the day.
Bb...the letter of the day (written in shaving cream).

So, take your pick of mile markers; one of your own, or one of our recent ones if you prefer - a year in Chile, Boden's 3rd birthday next week, Adrielle starting Kindergarten...and take a moment to connect that thought to God. When we say "Who knew?"... we know God knew (Jer 29:11). When we say, "that was good" ... we know it came from above (James 1:17). When we say, "that was hard" ... we know it was to bring about perseverance that built character, that brought hope that does not disappoint (Romans 5:3-5). We must say thanks in all circumstances (I Thessalonians 5:18), for it is God's will for us in Jesus.

Are we there yet? No. Our citizenship is in heaven and we eagerly await our Savior King from there. Jesus...

In the meantime, we note the markers along the way, give God due credit, and run with perseverance the race marked out for us (Hebrews 12:1).

Chao for now!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Wonderful post! I have tears in my eyes. It's all so true! Love you guys! Happy One Year in Chile, and I can't wait to hear more about the homeschooling.

Cody and Jessica said...

Awesome words! Thank you for helping me remember once again, why I do what I do each day. It's not for me...it's for Him!