Friday, November 26, 2010

What are you thankful for?

I know, the question seems rather hackneyed around the end of November. But you know, it's a good way to look at things. At least God, the creator of all things, the architect of us, the supreme one, thinks so. "Give thanks in all circumstances..." (I Thess. 5:18); "And be thankful," (Col. 3:15); "...let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe..." (Heb. 12:28); etc. etc. etc.

Alright, so be thankful...that is, say thanks. This seems like a pretty vanilla flavored concept...you know, something just about everyone can handle. But you know, being thankful or saying thanks is a directional concept. Our thanks is to be directed toward someone, there must be a recipient. Someone says, "Just be thankful." Yes, but for what, and to whom? God rightly deserves to be that recipient.

Ok, ok, you've read and heard your "thankfulness" devotions and sermons. I only bring it up to briefly share about the joy of putting this God-concept into practice. First of all, may I say that the presence of the Holy Spirit in the believer's life makes all the difference, and thank God for that gift? "So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature." (Gal 5:16) "But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you." (John 16:7). Cool.

I wanted to have a big adventure for my 30th birthday. You know, do it up right since I live in southern Chile. My grandest plans to cruise the fjords or wave hello to Antarctica turned out to be a little too grand. Still, in the end, we put together a plan to escape to Bariloche, Argentina (a place known for its mountain beauty, lakes, outdoor life, etc.) for 3 nights.

We made reservations online, taking advantage of a good off-season deal, checked State Department travel information about entering/exiting Argentina, traced out a route on the map, and hit the road! Nearing the border, we stopped more than once to marvel at waterfalls, rivers, lakes and lush greenery. Then we arrived at the border crossing complex. Passports - stamped. Exit forms - filled out. Vehicle papers? Oh, ok, we've got those. Hmmm, that customs person's eyes look concerned. Problem. The vehicle is registered in the name of the organization. They want an official, notarized statement authorizing my use of the vehicle and to take it across the border. There was no way around it, we were turned back. Despite our best problem solving efforts, it simply wasn't going to happen; we weren't going to spend my birthday in Argentina.

At this juncture comes the choice: be thankful, or grumble. And here we insert the difference of the Holy Spirit. I wanted to grumble. I could even list out for you all of the great reasons I had over those three days to do so. It was my birthday for crying out loud! Then again, if you really look at it, we would do well to leave out all the arguments about what we deserve. I know who I am and what rebellion I've committed against my maker. He doesn't owe me anything...at least not anything good. On top of that, we could fill a boat with the blessings that we encountered in "Plan B."

So it's like this: I had a wonderful birthday. Why? Because God's command to give thanks is attainable through his Spirit and his command fills us with life more abundant. That's not too bad a deal...a heck of a deal, in fact!

Here are some pictures from our "Plan B."

So again I ask, "What are you thankful for?"

2 comments:

The Gereckes said...

wow...I'm sorry your birthday plans fell through...but what a great attitude about it all. these "plan b" pics are beautiful...I LOVE the one of the kids in the ball pit...adorable! happy (belated) birthday and thanksgiving!

Seth and Andrea Sears said...

Can I just say this is why we dig you guys so much? You can be honest and real, yet Spirit-filled at the same time. Happy birthday!