Sunday, September 12, 2010

Apple Dapple


Everyone back home is speaking of the coming of fall, my most favorite time of year.  We had our fall back in April and May, and it was a spectacular fall full of vibrant colors.  I have to admit, the fall weather put me in the Holiday mood and I would often secretly play Christmas music in the kitchen while washing dishes or find as many recipes as I could that called for my 2 favorite spices, cinnamon and nutmeg.  We enjoyed many drives through the fall countryside, and my most favorite sight was that of the vineyards and the apple orchards.  Because we live close to so many apple orchards, we have had fresh picked apples aplenty this past fall and winter.  What do you do when life gives you a lot of apples?  You make homemade applesauce!  So, for all of you that are enjoying the cooler weather and changing of colors, I thought I would share 2 of my favorite apple recipes.  And while you are lighting your pumpkin scented candles and getting cozy with a good book, I will be filling my apartment with bouquets of  yellow daffodils and kite flying with my kids in the park.  
Happy Fall Everyone!

*Homemade Applesauce*

6 cups apples-peeled, cored and chopped (Fugi is a good choice as it is a naturally sweet apple)
3/4 cup water
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I use 1 tsp. because I like cinnamon a lot!)
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves (or all-spice)
1/2 cup white sugar for tart apples, 1/8 cup white sugar for sweet apples

*In a large pan over med. heat, combine apples, water, cinnamon, and cloves.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 10 min.  Stir in sugar, and simmer 5 more min.  Then mash to desired consistency (we like our applesauce chunky)


*Apple Spice Muffins*

1/2 cup margarine or butter
2/3 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup homemade applesauce

*Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Prepare muffin pan.

*In large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.  Add eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth.  Blend in cinnamon, allspice, baking powder, and baking soda.  Alternately add in a half cup of applesauce, one cup of flour, remaining applesauce, and remaining flour.  Stir until just blended together.  Pour batter into muffin cups 2/3's full.

*Bake for 17 min.


1 comment:

Amanda said...

I can't wait to go get some apples so I can try these recipes! Thanks, Jess! Happy Spring!! :)